Tuesday, May 28, 2024
An East Cambridge break-in led to this Portsmouth, N.H. inn, a police confrontation and a suspect's suicide, police say. (Photo: Expedia)

An East Cambridge break-in led to this Portsmouth, N.H. inn, a police confrontation and a suspect’s suicide, police say. (Photo: Expedia)

032015i-Gore-and-Fifth-shootingA person of interest from an early morning shooting in East Cambridge was found dead this afternoon in Portsmouth, N.H. from a self-inflicted gunshot, police said.

The person was originally wanted by Cambridge Police for multiple warrants out of Middlesex Superior Court, including assault to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and carrying a dangerous weapon – but police ran into him at approximately 12:14 a.m. when responding to around Fifth and Gore streets on a report of a breaking and entering in progress at a home under construction.

Upon arriving, officers found a suspect outside the vacant home. The suspect immediately began to run, firing at least one shot at an officer chasing afterward on foot, said Jeremy Warnick, director of communications and media relations for Cambridge police.

The officer wasn’t hit, and there was “no evidence that the suspect was injured as a result of the gun exchange,” Warnick said.

After an extended search, “we learned that … he was in the Portsmouth, N.H., area at the America’s Best Inn,” Warnick said. “We notified Portsmouth Police this afternoon of this collective information and collaborated with them on the case.”

Detectives from Portsmouth police, members of the Seacoast Emergency Response Team and the New Hampshire State Police evacuated and secured the area after being contacted by Cambridge police at about 3 p.m., a Portsmouth official said, continuing:

Police made phone contact with the subject., who quickly ended the conversation. Shortly after, the subject opened a window to his room and was immediately challenged by officers on the perimeter. The subject then retreated back into the room and a gunshot was heard coming from the room.

“Police tried to re-engage the subject but got no response,” the Portsmouth police said. “The State Police used a robot to look into the room and it was soon determined that the subject was deceased by what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The scene remains under investigation.”

The suspect was identified as Nicholas Cammarata, 30, from 3 Lindsay Terrace in Saugus, Warnick said.