Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Antwan Gonsalves, 35, of Cambridge, was convicted today by a Middlesex Superior Court jury of first-degree murder in connection with the 2015 death of Tywann Jones. Judge Thomas Billings scheduled sentencing for 9 a.m. Thursday.

The stabbing, described by the office of Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan, was considered drug-related: Witnesses told police that Jones, 35, of Roxbury, had been trying to facilitate a marijuana purchase between a third man and Gonsalves.

In addition to witnesses and information from the community, there was video surveillance around the Central Square 7-Eleven where Jones was stabbed shortly before 1:40 a.m. Sept. 12. It showed that Jones went from the sidewalk at 750 Massachusetts Ave., where he was talking with a friend, to a car holding three people – including Gonsalves, Ryan said at the time of Gonsalves’ arraignment two years ago. There was a brief conversation at Gonsalves’ driver window and Gonsalves asked Jones to leave, which Jones did without hesitation. Yet when he and his friend were back on sidewalk, Gonsalves leapt from the car, along with the person in the back seat, and “engaged [Jones] in a violent physical altercation.”

Jones escaped and made it a short distance away, but turned and went back, pursued by Gonsalves, leading to “a very close encounter between those two,” Ryan said. Gonsalves’ acquaintance was trying to pull the two apart, and at some point Gonsalves went to the car, only to return immediately. Seconds later, Jones was down on sidewalk, and Gonsalves and the other man other went back to the car and drove away.

“Mr. Jones was able to make his way back into the 7-Eleven, where he collapsed on the floor,” Ryan said. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital with life-threatening injuries. Surgery couldn’t save him, and he died at around 4:40 a.m.

He had sustained five stab wounds to the chest and abdomen.

An arrest warrant for Gonsalves was issued four days later, and the defendant turned himself in to Cambridge police Sept. 24, 2015.

When arraigned, Gonsalves’ bail was set at $7.5 million with a $750,000 cash surety by Judge Michele Hogan in Cambridge District Court.