Thursday, June 13, 2024

A Nov. 23 shooting near Central Square killed one person and injured another. (Photo: Marc Levy)

A judge has dismissed domestic violence charges against a 26-year-old man who was injured in the Thanksgiving Day 2023 shooting that killed Danasia Greene of Cambridge. But Tyrre Herring of Boston, who was arrested in a hospital the same day he was shot, is still in jail, this time on a third domestic violence accusation.

Greene, 27 when she died, was shot multiple times shortly after midnight on Nov. 23 on Magazine Street outside the Central Square Church. She died about an hour and a half later at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Court records show no connection between Herring and Greene. The shooting remains unsolved, although Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan had said at a community meeting in Cambridge on Dec. 6 that she expected “that we will get to a resolution of this matter fairly shortly.”

The shooting occurred while Central Square was busy with people celebrating the holiday, and it alarmed many residents. Ryan called it “obviously another example of a gun on the street. And it is also what we believe at this point to be the result of an ongoing dispute between people who knew each other.” 

Spokeswoman Meghan Kelly did not respond to an email May 13 asking about the status of the case, and for a comment on the dismissal of charges against Herring.

New charges, again dismissed

That May 7 court action was the second time a judge had dismissed charges against Herring, both times for the same reason. Cambridge District Court Judge David Frank dismissed on Feb. 12 the charge of violating a restraining order that led to Herring’s arrest in the hospital.

The victim, a Cambridge woman, had not shown up in court and an assistant district attorney said the prosecution wasn’t ready to proceed. Frank refused to delay a trial and dismissed charges.

That didn’t free Herring because prosecutors had brought new charges against him, accusing him on Jan. 26 with assaulting a family member – the same woman who was the victim in the first case. Herring was in jail on Jan. 26 but the charges involved an alleged attack on Nov. 1, almost two months before.

A judge set bail at $5,000, or $500 cash. Herring went back to jail because he did not come up with the money.

The prosecution was again not ready to proceed May 7. Court records don’t specify why, and Kelly didn’t answer when asked if the victim once again did not show up. Judge Emily Karstetter dismissed the charge and waived a $150 fee because it would be a “substantial financial hardship,” according to court records. 

Again, that did not free Herring. He was facing a third domestic violence charge, this time involving an incident Aug. 16 at the Encore Boston casino and hotel in Everett, according to court records. A judge had set bail in that case at $100,000 bond or $10,000 in cash. Prosecutors may not need to depend on the victim in that case coming to court because there may be surveillance video and incident reports by Encore of the incident, court records suggest. Prosecutors have requested the records, and a pretrial report May 7 says the prosecution plans to use them.

Little known about Greene

Little is known about Greene except that she lived on Child Street in Cambridge Crossing, a development in the North Point neighborhood, and was familiar to people who congregated in the area around River Street and Massachusetts Avenue in Central Square. She had been charged a year ago with punching a woman, also in Central Square; the charges were dismissed when she died.

Greene attended college but did not graduate, according to her death certificate. She was married to Nelson Moten, the document says. A man by that name is facing charges of assaulting a woman and sex trafficking. He also faces drug and weapons charges in an incident that occurred in Central Square. Moten was in jail when Greene was killed.

Greene is buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery in Boston. The funeral home did not post an obituary.